Friday, February 22, 2008

Something to think about....

Have you ever done something and even while you are doing are thinking, " I don't think this is going to work" or "This might not be such a great idea". Well both such ideas came to mind today when I was trying to fix a hair accessory.


This is a picture of the innocent object I was trying to fix. One of the gems had fallen out and I decided it would be a SUPER good idea to super glue it back together. As I gathered my tools together...fingers, glue and hair thingy, I spread everything out on our bedspread (Stupid idea right there...using glue and not just any glue, we are talking super glue, over the bedspread. I wanted to be comfy...aka LAZY....while I did the chore).

So I put some glue on the inside of the metal....not on the gem itself, so it looked like I was starting out on the right foot. But when the gem didn't go in right I decided to move it. Of course I suddenly realize that the darn gem is now super glued to my finger, because it has super glue on it from touching the metal...duh. Think quick! Remove it! (This is where I should have stopped for a second and thought about what might happen next, but I didn't). Next thing I know I had glued both of my pointer fingers and the gem together at the tips. Now what? I sat there for about a split second and then started freaking out! How in the heck did I get my fingers glued together in a matter or seconds. I swear I only thought getting your fingers stuck together with super glue only happened in the movies or something. Real people don't do that, unless they are really stupid (I guess that would be me...Real person, real stupid).

I tried to just pull them apart, when I realized this was going to remove all skin from my fingertips if I continued, so I decided to stop (good idea, the only one I had, had so far). So I picked Jackson up (a lot a bit tricky, with your fingers stuck together) and ran upstairs to ask my Mom what to do (shouldn't Mom's always know what to do)...run them under warm water? Tried that didn't work.

I called Marc (remember I am doing all of this with my hands stuck together...a little challenging to pick up the phone etc.) ..."umm, Marc I just did something really stupid...." and told him everything, before I can even finish he says, "Okay, so here's what you need to do. Get the vegetable oil and soak your fingers in it. Press the fingers against each other and rub them. It will dissolve the glue." I was so relieved and said a million thank you's, but just as I was just about to get off the phone and he says, "I just made that up, I don't think that will really do anything at all." Mad face inserted here (not really mad mad, just mad I fell for his fake wisdom). I should have known.

So I made him google it. Solution: soak in acetone based finger nail polish. Lucky for me my Mom had some (can you even imagine if I had to have gone to Walmart with my fingers glued together...getting Jackson in and out of the car, getting funny looks and trying to explain that I couldn't get my credit card out of my wallet....?! Thank you MOM! It might have been a little humorous to see me do it, but I can say that now that my fingers aren't still stuck together).

My fingers each have a little skin missing and a few pieces of glue still stuck to them, but I survived (I know you were all VERY worried). This is me at my best. Remind me next time I try to use super glue that REAL people really can super glue parts of their body together with it.

This is a picture of my with my battle wounds wrapped in band-aids. I was so brave. :)

12 comments:

Mitzi said...

Okay, that is hilarious! I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, hoping you'd be okay. LOL! Superglue is tricky! Graham tried to superglue something to the wall in Wymount (stupid nail rules) and ended up spilling the whole bottle on the floor. Our carpet actually started smoking! Graham was freaking out that the carpet was on fire and I was just on the ground, laughing SO hard! It's great fun!

Unknown said...

HAHA!! That is so funny! I'm mean... sad but funny because I can see myself doing it. I've seen a couple of patients at the clinic with their eyes super glued shut... don't ask me how they did it. :-)

Emily said...

Michelle! i cannot even use super glue with out this happening. I usually just rip my fingers apart and then my fingers feel funny for a couple days and there are hard patches of super glue dried all over my hands. I'll have to keep acetone-based finger nail polish remover in the house from now on! Good to know! Totally feel for ya.

Lindsay said...

that is so random Michelle...and funny! I could totally see myself doing that too--that stuff is strong!

Cindy said...

That was too funny Michelle! I've superglued one finger before, not two though...that must have hurt! Why are we so clumsy with such dangerous glue!

Camille said...

That's a great story! It sounds like something I would do. : )

Kara said...

Michelle that is great! I didn't realize you glued fingers together that were on different hands. I will have to remember not to do that! Great story!

Jessica Davis said...

Ha! That is such a great story!! I have heard of people super glueing body parts together and it always strikes me as so funny. Thanks for making me laugh today!

Ashley A. said...

That was hilarious! Very well-written and a funny story that your family will always laugh about. I don't attempt to use super glue anymore either after getting things stuck to my fingers. I think the problem lies in the fact that it's usually something really small that you're gluing back on.

mckenna said...

Hi Michelle! I don't know if you remember me at all, but we went to unior high together. I had curly hair like yours so everyone always thought we were related or whatever. Anyyway, I saw your blog through someone else's and thought I'd peep in! You son is too cute! Looks like life is treating you well!

Amy said...

oh my! that is sooo funny!! Glad you got your fingers un-stuck!

melimba said...

hey! i commented on here...but i must not have pushed SUBMIT! :( sad. i feel bad! I was going to comment AGAIN and say, hey! we need to chat about your new life plans! I need the haps...when you think you will leave, etc. !!!
i wrote on the other "comment" that was supposed to be here, sorry about your boo boos. :) you kill me!
lots of love!